Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Day at Home


Today being Sunday and not having to go to work I spent some time in the garden. We had a burst of very warm weather (including bush fires) last week and the cicadas decided that it was time to hatch. These are the holes from which the cicadas emerged.






and then they climbed a nearby tree and left their shells behind.


The weather then changed and the temperature dropped and they are not surviving poor things.


A colleague at work had brought in a lot of lemons from her neighbours very fruitful tree, so I had to make strawberry jam (strawberries are very cheap at the moment).


And then I made a lemon cake (the second one in two days, I took the first one to work yesterday). My sons always ask when I am baking a cake "is that for work?", I feel an obligation to make them a cake now and then.


This is a great recipe and really easy as you just have to melt the butter and add it to the eggs and sugar that have been beaten together. The recipe is from a beautiful book -A Year in my garden by Jenny Ferguson, who lives in Moss Vale in the Southern Highlands.





Sunday night we always have pizza it is a family tradition. Son M makes the dough and then we all prepare our toppings to our liking, luckily we have two ovens so that we can cook four pizzas at once.
This is my pizza, just out of the oven, goat cheese and parma ham.


This is Mr P's - prawn, chili, smoked salmon and feta.


I have to go now and eat my delicious pizza!

No comments: